Campbell, Genevieve, Matt Poll, Jacinta Tipungwuti and Amanda Harris. (2022). "Animating Cultural Heritage Knowledge Through Songs: Museums, Archives, Consultation and Tiwi Music," in Amanda Harris, Linda Barwick and Jakelin Troy (Eds.). Music Dance and the Archive. Sydney, Sydney University Press. 55-79. https://open.sydneyuniversitypress.com.au/9781743328675.html
Foster, Shannon & Harris, Amanda (2021), 'Informing practice through collaboration: listening to colonising histories and Aboriginal music' in Reid, Anna, Peres Da Costa, Neal, Carrigan, Jeanell (eds.), Creative Research in Music: Informed practice, innovation and transcendence, Routledge, Abingdon, 82-92. https://doi.org/10.4324/9780429278426
Huebner, Sharon and Ezzard Flowers. (2021). The Relational Language of First Nations Cultural Sensibilities, Principles and Storytelling Ethics as an Intercultural Approach to Script Development' in Stayci Taylor & Craig Batty (Eds.), The Palgrave Handbook of Script Development. Switzerland Springer Nature Switzerland AG. 229-250. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-82234-7
Barwick, L., Green, J., Vaarzon-Morel, P., Zisserman, K. (2020). Conundrums and consequences: Doing digital archival returns in Australia. In Linda Barwick, Jennifer Green, and Petronella Vaarzon-Morel (Eds.), Archival Returns: Central Australia and Beyond, (pp. 1-28). Sydney, Australia: Sydney University Press.
Ormond-Parker, Lyndon, Neil Carter, Cressida Fforde, Gareth Knapman, and Wes Morris. (2020), "Repatriation in the Kimberley: Practice, Approach, and Contextual History" in Cressida Fforde, C. Timothy McKeown, Honor Keeler (eds.), The Routledge Companion to Indigenous Repatriation, 1st ed. Routledge, Abingdon, 165-187. https://doi.org/10.4324/9780203730966
2019 and 2018.
Shea-Murphy, Jacqueline. (2018). "Dancing in the Here and Now: Indigenous Presence and the Contemporary Choreography of Emily Johnson/Catalyst and DANCING EARTH," in Oxford Handbook of Dance and Politics. Eds. Rebekah Kowal, Gerald Siegmund and Randy Martin. New York, Oxford University Press: 535-557. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordhb/9780199928187.013.26
- Harris, Amanda, Tiriki Onus and Linda Barwick.
"Performing Aboriginal Workers' Rights in 1951: From the Top End to
Australia's Southeast". Australian Journal of Politics
and History (2023), https://doi.org/10.1111/ajph.12823.
- Poll, Matt and Amanda Harris, "Bark paintings as ambassadors, 1948-1963, and the circle back to Aboriginal cultural agency", Aboriginal History, V45, (2022) pp. 57-82, . https://doi.org/10.22459/AH.45.2021
- Treloyn, Sally. "Intergenerational Knowledges: Change and
Continuity in Music Transmission and Ethnomusicological Praxis." Music Research Annual 3: 1-27 (2022). ISSN 2563-7290. https://musicresearchannual.org/treloyn-intergenerational-knowledges-2/
- Barwick, Linda, Huebner, Sharon, Ormond-Parker, Lyndon and Treloyn, Sally. "Reclaiming archives: guest editorial" Preservation, Digital Technology & Culture 50, no. 3-4 (2021): 99-104. https://doi-org.ezproxy.library.sydney.edu.au/10.1515/pdtc-2022-0008
- Featherstone, Daniel, Claire Stuchbery, Sharon Huebner, Lyndon Ormond-Parker and Andrew Dodd. "Archiving First Nations Media: The Race to Save Community Media and Cultural Collections." Australian Aboriginal Studies, no. 1 (2021): 53-68. https://search.informit.org/doi/10.331/INFORMIT.073221909481044
- Huebner, Sharon, and John Bradley. "'They Live on in the Photos': The Ontologies of Difference When Recognition Is Given to Descendant Family and Kin Concern for, and Responsibility Toward, Aboriginal Ancestors in Photographs." Visual studies (Abingdon, England) 36, no. 4-5 (2021): 366-384. https://doi.org/10.1080/1472586X.2020.1850209
- Marsden, Beth, Ellinghaus, Katherine, O'Neill, Cate, Huebner, Sharon and Ormond-Parker, Lyndon. "Wongatha Heritage Returned: The Digital Future and Community Ownership of Schoolwork from the Mount Margaret Mission School, 1930s-1940s" Preservation, Digital Technology & Culture 50, no. 3-4 (2021): 105-115. https://doi-org.ezproxy.library.sydney.edu.au/10.1515/pdtc-2021-0020
- Treloyn, Sally, Charles, Rona Goonginda and O'Connor, Pete Myadooma. "Dancing with the Devil (Spirit): How Audiovisual Collections Reveal and Enact Social and Political Agency in Dance and Song (A Case from the Kimberley)" Preservation, Digital Technology & Culture 50, no. 3-4 (2021): 117-129. https://doi-org.ezproxy.library.sydney.edu.au/10.1515/pdtc-2021-0027
- Torwali, Mujahid and Troy, Jakelin. "Saving Torwali Music and Dance: Community Led Performance and 'Public' Archiving" Preservation, Digital Technology & Culture 50, no. 3-4 (2021): 151-163. https://doi-org.ezproxy.library.sydney.edu.au/10.1515/pdtc-2021-0028
- Vaarzon-Morel, Petronella, Linda Barwick, and Jennifer Green. "Sharing and Storing Digital Cultural Records in Central Australian Indigenous Communities." New media & society 23, no. 4 (2021): 692-714. https://doi.org/10.1177/1461444820954201
- Bracknell, Clint and Linda Barwick. "The Fringe or the Heart of Things? Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Musics in Australian Music Institutions". Musicology Australia (2020) 70-84. https://doi.org/10.1080/08145857.2020.1945253
- Harris, Amanda. "Representing Australia to the Commonwealth in 1965: Aborigiana and Indigenous Performance." Twentieth-century music 17, no. 1 (2020): 3-22. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1478572219000331
- Harris, Amanda. "Indigenising Australian Music: Authenticity and Representation in Touring 1950s Art Songs." Postcolonial studies 23, no. 1 (2020): 132-152. https://doi.org/10.1080/13688790.2020.1727968
- Ormond-Parker, Lyndon. 2020. "Aboriginal Trade with Macassan Seafarers. Agora, 55 (3): 3-7. https://search.informit.org/doi/10.3316/informit.543784651825761
- Prictor, Megan, Sharon Huebner, Harriet J.A Teare, Luke Burchill, and Jane Kaye. "Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Collections of Genetic Heritage: The Legal, Ethical and Practical Considerations of a Dynamic Consent Approach to Decision Making." The Journal of law, medicine & ethics 48, no. 1 (2020): 205-217. https://doi.org/10.1177/1073110520917012
- Troy, Jakelin, and Linda Barwick. "Claiming the 'Song of the Women of the Menero Tribe.'" Musicology Australia (2020): 1-23. https://doi.org/10.1080/08145857.2020.1945254
- Curran, Georgia, Linda Barwick, Myfany Turpin, Fiona Walsh, and Mary Laughren. "Central Australian Aboriginal Songs and Biocultural Knowledge: Evidence from Women's Ceremonies Relating to Edible Seeds." Journal of ethnobiology 39, no. 3 (2019): 354-370. https://doi.org/10.2993/0278-0771-39.3.354
- Huebner, Sharon, and Stella Marr. "Between Policy and Practice: Archival Descriptions, Digital Returns and a Place for Coalescing Narratives." Archives and manuscripts 47, no. 1 (2019): 113-130. https://doi.org/10.1080/01576895.2018.1552161
- Ormond-Parker, Lyndon. "Deadline 2025: AIATSIS and the Audiovisual Archive." Archives and manuscripts 47, no. 1 (2019): 3-19. https://doi.org/10.1080/01576895.2019.1567355
- Ormond-Parker, Lyndon, and Aaron Corn. "Information Technologies and Indigenous Communities." Archives and manuscripts 47, no. 1 (2019): 1-2. https://doi.org/10.1080/01576895.2019.1587809
- Troy, Jakelin, Amanda Harris, Linda Barwick and Matt Poll. "
just another song and dance: Aboriginal people performing 'corroborees' in
Australia as political and social activism".
International THAAP Conference in Collaboration with the Institute for Art
and Culture 'Art, Tolerance and Democracy. (2018).
FILM AND EXHIBITIONS
CONFERENCES AND PUBLIC LECTURES
PUBLIC LECTURES AND KEYNOTE PRESENTATIONS
- Harris, Amanda with Jacinta Tobin. " Continuity, Change, and Representations of Aboriginal music on public stages." Paper presented at Undergraduate Musicology Conference, Western Sydney University, 2022.
- Harris, Amanda. "
Women, politics and
the "British" String Quartets of Ethel Smyth and Margaret Sutherland."
and the British String Quartet Symposium,
The Oxford Research Centre in the Humanities. University of Oxford,
- Troy, Jakelin and Lesley Woods. "Re-Defining Collaborative Linguistic Research." Presented at Decolonising Linguistics: Spinning a Better Yarn, The Indigenous Alliance for Linguistic Research, Centre of Excellence for the Dynamics of Language, Sydney Centre for Indigenous Research and the Research Unit for Indigenous Language, 2021. https://www.dynamicsoflanguage.edu.au/ialr/decolonising-linguistics-spinning-a-better-yarn/2021-meetings/
- Ormond-Parker, Lyndon. "Repatriation and Return I: Why Is It Important? Repatriation - its context and importance," Presented at AIATSIS Summit repatriation stream, 2021. https://aiatsis.gov.au/presentation/repatriation-its-context-and-importance-dr-lyndon-ormond-parker
- Poll, Matt. " Articulating Sydney's Aboriginal Past in the Public Realm." Presented at First Nations Speaker Series, Gold Melting Room at the NSW Mint, 2021. https://www.gml.com.au/news/first-nations-speaker-series-matt-poll/
- Treloyn, Sally. "The Research Unit for Indigenous Arts and Cultures." Presented at Indigenous Knowledge Institute's 2021 International Day of the World's Indigenous Peoples Symposium, The University of Melbourne, 2021. https://indigenousknowledge.unimelb.edu.au/news/international-day-of-the-worlds-indigenous-peoples-symposium-recording-now-available
- Barwick, Linda. " Virtualising song: How can the embedded sociality of song and singing practices best be supported in online digital environments?" Paper presented at Digital Audiovisual Archiving and Community Engagement, The British Library in partnership with The British Forum for Ethnomusicology and the Department of Music, School of Arts, SOAS University of London, 2019. https://www.bl.uk/events/digital-audiovisual-archiving-and-community-engagement#
- Barclay, Leah, Nick Enfield, Monica Gagliano and Jakelin Troy. " The language of trees." Presented at 'Talking Trees' Series, Museum of Contemporary Art, Sydney, 2019. https://www.mca.com.au/whats-on/talking-trees/
- Treloyn, Sally. " Making Junba good in the Kimberley: Applied (ethnomusicological) research and its discontents." Presented at Nulungu Talking Heads Seminar Series, University of Notre Dame, Sydney, 2019. https://www.notredame.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/94104/Talking-Heads-Presenter-Flyer-Sally-Treylon,-Johnny-Divilli-and-Rona-Charles.pdf
We have presented research on this project at the following conferences:
- Callaway Centre Research Seminar, University of Western Australia, 2022.
- Urgent Histories: Australian Historical Association Conference, Deakin University, 2022.
- Music in the Pacific World: Change and Exchange Through Sound and Memory. First Conference of the IMS Study Group on the Global History of Music, Taipei, Taiwan, 2021.
- International Australian Studies Association Biennial Conference: Reinventing Australia, The Australian Catholic University, Sydney, 2021.
- The Society for Ethnomusicology 65th Annual Meeting 'Musical Activism and Agency: Contestations and Confluences,' Ontario, Canada, 2020.
- History on Wednesday, University of Sydney, 2020.
- Symposium on Indigenous Music and Dance and Symposium on Indigenous Arts and Culture in the Academy, The University of Melbourne, 2020.
Music and Social Change Symposium,
Conservatorium of Music, 2019.
- Australian Historical Association Annual Conference: 'Local Communities, Global Networks', University of Southern Queensland, 2019.
- Foundation for Endangered Languages Conference XXII. Endangered Languages and the Land; Mapping Landscapes of Multilingualism, Reyjavík, Iceland, 2018.
- Australian Historical Association Conference 2018: The Scale of History,Australian National University, 2018.
- Through the Looking Glass: The 41st Musicological Society of Australia (MSA) National Conference and 17th Symposium on Indigenous Music and Dance, Edith Cowan University, 2018.
- Music and Ethnography Study Group, Sydney Conservatorium of Music, 2018.